1. Eyebrows- Don’t be tweezer happy as this season signals the revival of natural, thick brows. Now, if you have eyebrows that are light and thin; there are lots of eyebrow kits and pencils to choose from. A must-have is Model Co.’s Eyebrow Kit.
I swear by this product, and have been using this for years. It took me three years to buy a new kit, because all you’ll really need is a small amount since the wax and powder are highly pigmented. The pocket-sized kit is also good for starters since it includes:
- a mirror
- wax and pwder
- two angled brushes
- one spoolie
- and four stencils that go from Super Fine, Natural and Full (so all you need to do is fill it in, and you're all set).
2. Pink Glow - Forget about wearing heavy makeup because it's all about that "flushed" look for S/S '12. How to achieve the look? Start with a clean face and don't forget to use toner. You can forget about using foundation, a great alternative would be a tinted moisturizer, say, Jane Iredale's Dream Tint Moisturizer with SPF 15. Draw your brows, put your mascara on, a natural shade of lippy will do, and finally swipe that pink blush on the apples of your cheeks. I recommend NARS when it comes to blush because their shades are all highly pigmented yet natural looking. For pink shades, I'd go for Desire, Gaiety, Deep Throat or Orgasm.
Don't be intimidated by the shade because of hints of Neon and Fuchsia Pink. When applied on the temples of the cheeks, it gives you that flushed look in seconds, and what's more, it suits all complexions.
Photo Credits: nars.com
- NARS in Gaiety
NARS Gaiety has a candy pink shade with blue undertones and a matte finish.
NARS Deep Throat
- NARS Orgasm
Now if you want to achieve a pinkish-peachy hue with a silky, healthy-glow-finish, NARS Deep Throat and Orgasm are highly recommended.
3. Lips - Let out the daredevil in you by using a red shade, or at least try a mix of red and orange, or coral even (!); it brightens up the face.
When wearing red lippy, make sure to skip the eye shadow or lined eyes. Mascara will do. Red creates a strong lip so better not to go overboard. Preferred lipsticks and lip glosses are MAC’s Russian Red and Ruby Woo, and for lip glosses, it’s OCC Lip Tar’s Grandma and Queen.
You won’t see much of a difference between Ruby Woo and Russian Red, they both have that gorgeous matte red hue that is highly pigmented so you don’t really have to reapply. A little goes a long way.
MAC in Russian Red
Photo Credit: maccosmetics.com
- If you’re obsessed with lip gloss, why not give Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar a try? OCC Lip Tar’s shade in Grandma has a mix of red and coral hues, while OCC Lip Tar’s Queen has a hint of neon pink and red hues. Both lip glosses just pop with color!
Left: Grandma, Right: Queen
4. Eyes – Cat Eyes are back with a vengeance; think the late Amy Winehouse. Go get your Kohl eyeliner and start practicing the look. To achieve the perfect cat-eye-look, start with an eye shadow base. Urban Decay’s eye shadow primer potion is much raved about. After applying the eye shadow base, line your eyes with eyeliner pencil, eyeliner gel, or eyeliner liquid. Most makeup artists prefer the liquid type however. With thin strokes, start from the inner corners of the eye going outwards. Make sure to follow the curves of the eyes. Repeat the step, but this time around, make the line thicker. Smudge the thickened line with an eye shadow sponge to soften the look. Best bet for eye liners are NARS Liquid Stylo, MAC’s Kohl eyeliner and Urban Decay’s waterproof eyeliner liquid in Perversion.
Photo Credit: harpersbazaar.com
NARS Liquid Stylo
Photo Credit: sephora.com
MAC Kohl eyeliner
Urban Decay’s 24/7 waterproof eyeliner in perversion